Upgrading your exhaust is another way to improve engine flow. The more efficiently you can make your engine flow with the use of intake and exhaust upgrades, the more power you're going to make (and the sound is nice too)! Factory exhaust systems tend to feature smaller diameter piping, baffles, and bends, all of which limit exhaust flow. Increasing the diameter of your exhaust and decreasing obstructions are easy and efficient ways to make power. Whether you're choosing an exhaust system, headers, or just a muffler to gain some growl out of you exhaust system, they all can increase flow and free up some ponies.
Exhaust System Types
When it comes to exhaust systems, there are many choices to make. Single or dual? Stainless or aluminized? If stainless what grade? Axle-back, cat-back, DPF-back, etc. Choosing an exhaust can seem like a pretty daunting task, but when you break it down it’s pretty easy.
- Single exhaust systems: Single exhaust systems are exactly as the name implies. Single exhaust systems terminate the exhaust out of a single muffler and tailpipe. This is standard equipment on most trucks and SUVs. Single exhaust systems can often be cheaper, because they may have fewer components and require fewer modifications to install. They offer a stealthy look, while giving you the sound and increased performance that you’re looking for.
- Stealth/stock appearance
- Reduced cost due to fewer components
- Improves vehicle exhaust note
- Increased performance
- Increased fuel economy
- Easier to install
- Dual exhaust systems: Dual exhaust systems typically terminate through two mufflers and out two tailpipes. They can terminate straight back or to the sides of the vehicle. Within dual exhaust systems, you can have two variants, one being a true dual exhaust and the other just giving the appearance of dual exhaust. True duel exhaust would be a header-back type of system and would keep both banks of the engine separate, unless connected by an equalization tube. The other type of dual exhaust system would be a cat-back or axle-back system. The stock merged exhaust stream would be unmerged and exited in a dual-exhaust fashion. Both types of dual exhaust systems upgrade the performance, appearance, and sound of your vehicle; however, the true dual exhaust offers bigger performance gains.
- Custom/upgraded appearance
- Increased exhaust flow
- Increased performance
- Increased fuel economy
- Improved vehicle exhaust note
- Increased cost and difficulty of install
- Axle-back exhaust systems: Axle-back exhaust systems typically begin just before the rear axle and include a muffler or mufflers, tailpipes, over-axle piping, and exhaust tips. They offer the smallest performance benefit due to the minimal amount of component being replaced, but are the most cost-effective way to upgrade your vehicle’s exhaust.
- Cat-back exhaust systems: Cat-back exhaust systems take the axle-back system and expand upon it. They include the muffler or mufflers, midpipe(s), tailpipe(s), over-axle piping, and exhaust tips. With the addition of the midpipe(s), exhaust flow is further increased, which improves the horsepower and mileage gains.
- DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Back System: With the introduction of DPFs to today’s modern diesel pickups, this new type of exhaust system has appeared. The DPF-back system starts at the DPF and works its way back. It may replace the stock catalytic converter(s) with high-flow versions or it may delete it entirely. Beyond that, it includes the same components as the cat-back system and further increases performance.
- Turbo-back exhaust systems: Designed for turbocharged vehicles only, these systems start at the turbocharger and work their way back, replacing every component along the way. These systems offer nearly maximum gains on turbocharged vehicles as they upgrade every component from the turbo back.
Exhaust System Materials
Exhaust systems are offered in a few different materials, which can make it hard to choose when you’re looking for the right system. Let’s break it down:
- Aluminized steel: Aluminized steel is a commonly used material in both aftermarket and OEM exhaust. Aluminized steel is coated in a aluminum-silicon alloy, which allows it to be more resistant to corrosion and to work well in high heat. With these properties, it is a good option for exhaust systems and it is the cheapest of all materials used.
- T304 stainless steel: T304 stainless steel is another option and is common among aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. T304 is corrosion resistant and non-hardening under heat, which makes it ideal for exhaust systems. It maintains its finish in even the harshest conditions and is a good choice in all climates.
- T409 stainless steel: T409 stainless steel is stabilized by titanium and extremely resistant to corrosion. As such, the primary application for T409 steel is automotive exhaust systems.
Technology dominates every phase of Dynomax exhaust system production. From state-of-the-art CAD design and engineering to advanced CAM processes, no one else in the aftermarket industry delivers Dynomax's level of high-performance technology.
- Mandrel bent
- Available in stainless and aluminized steel
- Stainless steel Ultra Flo muffler
- Stainless steel clamp
- Polished stainless steel tips
MBRP manufactures all its exhaust systems to the highest quality standards to give you a system that not only provides you power and mileage increases, but stands up to the demands of the extreme off roader without falling apart. These systems feature 100% mandrel-bent tubing and the lowest degree of bends.
- Available in four grades: Installer Series, Black Series, Pro Series, and XP Series
- Aluminized and stainless steel systems available
- 100% mandrel bent
- Improves power and fuel economy
Give your diesel truck an authoritative look and sound, as well as a significant power increase and improved fuel efficiency with BD Diesel’s 409 stainless steel X-Hale exhaust systems. Available in single and dual configurations for Dodge, Ford, and GM diesel applications, X-Hale exhaust systems feature 4" or 5" seamless, mandrel-bent tubing, and a 5" or 6", polished 304 stainless steel muffler and stainless steel tip(s). Designed for easy, bolt-in replacement, BD’s new X-Hale stainless steel exhaust systems are the best value on the market.
- 409 stainless steel tubing
- 4” and 5” tubing
- 304 stainless steel muffler
- Easy install
The CORSA single exhaust system's straight-through design and patented, RSC noise cancellation technology tunes out undesirable low frequencies that cause the dreaded drone, while still reducing back pressure. The reduction in back pressure allows the engine to produce more horsepower and torque.
- Full body sound
- Increased horsepower
- Lower exhaust gas temperatures
- Better throttle response
Give your truck the sound it deserves with a MagnaFlow exhaust systems. With MagnaFlow’s patented muffler system, you gain a deep, powerful sound while boosting both horsepower and torque. These systems feature all mandrel-bent tubing for better quality and a smoother flow than your stock exhaust system. It provides an authoritative sound when revved, but it's quiet when cruising, with no drone. Available in the Performance, XL, Pro, and OFF ROAD Pro-Series, there are four levels to fit your budget.
The MagnaFlow OFF ROAD Pro-Series, for use on vehicles with highly modified suspension systems, turns down before the axle to provide an aggressive exhaust note. For lifted, lowered, air bagged, or long travel vehicles, the OFF ROAD Pro-Series provides the most versatility to accommodate nearly every configuration. Engineered for maximum power and minimal weight using the same state-of-the-art manufacturing needed for lifetime-warranty quality, these systems eliminate the need for custom fabrication with true bolt-on fitment.
- Turn down before axle configuration
- Stainless steel construction
- Hassle-free, bolt-on installation
- Mandrel bent
- Authoritative sound
- No drone
- Lifetime warranty
Banks’ heavy-duty, stainless steel Monster Exhaust systems cut back-pressure up to 98% and flow up to 176% better than stock. The streamlined intermediate pipe(s) and large tailpipe(s) are formed of stainless, heavy-wall tubing with constant-diameter bends to maximize airflow and lower exhaust gas temps.
- 100% stainless steel
- Streamlined intermediate pipe(s)
- Heavy-wall tubing
- Constant-diameter bends
When exiting your engine, the first and often worst obstruction your exhaust can face is the factory headers on your vehicle. They often feature small tubing with unnecessary bends and substandard casting. Often, the factory flanges do not align squarely with the exhaust port, which causes major restriction. Replacing your headers with high-flow, performance headers can yield great improvements in both power and torque and go a long way in reducing exhaust turbulence.
Banks Torque Tube is a streamlined exhaust manifold designed to optimize exhaust flow and engine efficiency. Because the stock manifold's flange does not align squarely with the ports, flow is restricted. Torque Tube corrects the problem with a 1/2" flange that is machined dead flat, and precisely fitted to the port pattern. You can hear the difference in the plusher, healthier exhaust note. Unlike the stock, failure-prone exhaust manifold, Banks Torque Tube is built of heavy, 409 stainless steel to weather a lifetime of heat, stress, and abuse. The flange, welded to the tube assembly on both sides, will never crack or separate. The gasket is made of SMI 900, a material that stands up to super-hot temperatures. It bolts right on!
- 409 stainless steel
- Precisely fitted
- 1/2" flange, machined dead flat
Boost performance and drivability in your vehicle with high-quality Edelbrock headers. In some cases, you'll shave up to a full second off your acceleration time from 0-60 mph, because the Edelbrock design improves your engine's ability to breathe. Mileage may also improve, as your engine becomes more fuel efficient. Best of all, our headers give you all this performance within acceptable emissions levels and without voiding new vehicle warranties. Most Edelbrock headers accept all stock emissions equipment, leaving them fully operational. Most systems are also complete, from the heads to the catalytic converter. The outstanding features built into every Edelbrock exhaust deliver the best in quality and performance.
- Made in the USA by Edelbrock for the ultimate in quality and performance
- Direct replacements for stock exhaust manifolds; simple installation using stock crossover pipe
- Shorty headers are available in two finishes: Ti-TECH and ceramic coating
- Laser-cut or stamped flanges ensure a leak-free seal with no alterations
- Heavy-duty flanges for a superior fit
- Made of either heavy-duty, 16-gauge mild steel or 17-gauge, 409 stainless steel
JBA shorty headers are one of the best performance upgrades available for any application. Hot Rod magazine rated headers as one of the top 10 power parts installed on a vehicle. JBA shorty headers are significantly less restrictive than the stock manifolds on a vehicle and dramatically increase the power and efficiency of an engine. JBA's original shorty design is an innovation of the old, long-tube header. The new shorty designs yield high-performance gains that hot rodders and enthusiasts look for, and are smog legal in 50 states. With durable stainless steel construction that can survive the abuse of racing, towing, and daily driving, these headers can take a beating. With heavy-duty features and patented technology, including the JBA Firecone collector, JBA shorty headers have the capacity to produce more power than any other shorty headers on the market. Each system includes high-quality hardware and thorough instructions for a professional, no-leak installation.
- Mandrel-bent stainless steel primary tubes
- Patented JBA Firecone collector
- Factory-style emission connections
- Extra thick collector domes
- C.A.R.B. certified executive order number
- 3/8’ thick, CNC laser-cut flanges
- Oversized exhaust ports
- Best flow, durability, improved throttle response
- Race-proven technology for maximum horsepower and torque gains
- Easier installation
- Will not distort like lesser quality headers; no leaks
- Smog legal in 50 states
- Resists warping, prevents leaks, and easier install
- Increased flow, accommodates cylinder head porting
These exhaust accessories will help you accent your vehicle's stock or upgraded exhaust systems. Whether you are looking to finish off the system with a nice tip, add some engine braking assistance with an exhaust brake, or replace a worn-out muffler or catalytic converter, 4 Wheel Parts is sure to have just what you are looking for.
Dynomax Valve Technology Mufflers feature an exclusive, precisely calibrated internal valve that redirects exhaust flow during cruising conditions, to provide DRONE-FREE PERFORMANCE. When you hammer the gas, the valve automatically adjusts for maximum exhaust flow, delivering on-demand performance and a deep, throaty, drone-free sound.
- 100% aluminized and fully welded for extended durability
- Two-chamber design improves flow
- Deep, aggressive tone
The Thrush Turbo Muffler by Dynomax features an 100% aluminized cover for long life, proven reverse-flow design, and a time-proven, spun-locked heads for a leak-free seal.
Don’t want to replace your whole exhaust system, but want to improve the looks of that factory tailpipe? RBP has you covered with its extensive line of quality exhaust tips. With a wide array of lengths and diameters, and available in polished or powdercoated finishes, you are sure to find one to suit your tastes.
Designed with ease of installation in mind, MagnaFlow’s direct-fit converters are the perfect complement to your OEM exhaust system. With no welding, cutting, or bending required, you can easily add one of our direct-fit converters to your vehicle when it’s time to replace your original catalytic converter. Whether your original converter has gone bad or you’re just looking to upgrade to something more performance-oriented, MagnaFlow’s direct-fit converters are just right. Featuring a ribbed design and funneled inlets and outlets, each converter features a stainless steel body and heat shield, and contains a flow-efficient, monolithic honeycomb catalyst designed for maximum flow and surface area. Best of all, our 49-state, direct-fit converters are in compliance with EPA guidelines, so getting a car smog checked is a worry-free task.
Banks no-maintenance exhaust brake for diesel pickups slows downhill speeds up to 52% without using wheel brakes. The Banks Brake system includes a computerized brake controller for safe, reliable, automated operation, and fast warm-up function for improved drivability.