How to Choose a Ball Mount
Measuring for the Proper Ball Mount
- Measure from the ground to the top of the hitch.
- Measure from the ground to the (inside) top of the trailer coupler, when level.
- Subtract the height of the hitch ball (most are 2-1/2" to 3" high) from coupler measurement.
- An 8" drop is required to make the trailer level.
Selecting the Right Hitch Ball
- Your towing system's maximum weight rating is always equal to the lowest rated item in the system.
- Your hitching system cannot be upgraded to a rating higher than the maximum rating of your hitch. For example, a 3,500 lb. ball on a 2,000 lb. max trailer weight rated hitch does not increase your towing capacity to 3,500 lbs. Your hitching system is still rated at 2,000 lbs.
- Conversely, a 2,000 lb. ball on a 3,500 lb. max trailer weight-rated hitch decreases your maximum towing capacity to 2,000 lbs.
- The hitch ball diameter must be the same diameter as the trailer coupler.
- The shank diameter of the hitch ball should be the same as the hole diameter in the correct ball mount you selected.
- The shank length should be long enough to allow at least two threads to be visible when the hitch ball is installed and the nut completely tightened.